Mr J. W Goward, whose death was announced in the last issue, was one of the oldest pioneers of the district. Born in Welbourne, England in the year 1830 and educated in that town, he, with several others came to this district from the old land, arriving in Sydney in October 1854. He, with his shipmates, Mr C. Turner and Mr Charles Meaker arrived at Merimbula in November 1854. Mr Goward was then engaged to Mr James Manning on the Kameruka Estate. In those days cereals were largely cultivated in the district, and in 1854 Mr Goward won the thirty Guinea cup for the best sample of English malt barley. Shortly after this Mr Goward selected near Wolumla and gradually acquired considerable property, where he built a substantial homestead and resided until nearly four years ago. After the decease of his wife Mr Goward married the widow of the late Mr Hopkinson, of the Occidental Hotel, Bega. Latterly they ran the Club Hotel and conducted a good business. Mr Goward, than whom there was no one better known in the district was the true type of the honest straightforward Englishman. His mates of the oldest time admitted his pluck and perseverance and not one of them but mourn his loss, and in his death they cannot but feel that another true man is laid low. To his numerous family, and the widow left to mourn her loss, sympathy is extended. The funeral took place on Friday and as the numerous courtege neared Wolumla many joined the procession, which took place in the Wolumla Cemetery. Numerous wreaths were forwarded and placed on the coffin, while letters and telegrams of sympathy were received from all parts of the colony.